Is there such a thing as Winter Cleaning? You know, like Spring Cleaning only in Winter? I don’t know if it’s a thing but I do know that I do it every year, without fail.
Now don’t be fooled into thinking I’m some sort of domestic goddess. I loathe ironing, hate dusting and hoovering gives me a headache because Bubs screams the entire time, but there’s something about the beginning of November that has me itching (not literally!) to clean the house from top to bottom.
Maybe it’s because the dismal cold and rainy days are forcing us to stay at home more therefore I’m spending more time surrounded by the dust and dog hair (What possessed us to have three spaniels? Argh!). Maybe it’s a genetic memory; a throwback to cave-dwelling times where poor Mrs Flintstone had to sweep the bad luck out of the cave and appease the Winter gods, all without the power of Cillit Bang.
Whatever the cause, here I stand knee-deep in crap armed to the teeth with the best that Mr Muscle and Mr Sheen have to offer (oooh er!).
So far I have…
- Cleaned all of my makeup brushes and coincidentally realised why I have a horribly infected eye at the moment.
- Turfed out my wardrobe and put all of my summer clothes into storage then did the same to Bubs wardrobe and put all of her summer clothes away. I then had a bit of a sob at the fact that my two and a half year old daughter has more clothes than I do.
- Gone through the mountain of magazines beside the bed. I found three from Christmas last year and the NHS Pregnancy Book I got when I was pregnant with Bubs. No idea why I even still have that as the chances of me having another baby are about as likely as Pontypandy winning the World Cup.
- In a supreme level of irony I also found three books about decluttering crammed into the world’s most cluttered bedside drawer.
- Started moving most of Bubs’ toys up to her bedroom in a bid to reclaim the front room back as a grown up space.
- Begun to sort out my yarn stash and the huge pile of unfinished projects then I realised that could make an entire blog post on its own. I had to stuff it all back under the bed when Hubs came home so that he wouldn’t find out exactly how much yarn I have!
I wish I could say that I was almost finished but I’ve not even made a tiny dent in it all. If you don’t hear from me for a few days send help as I’m probably trapped under a mountain of dog hair!